Service Restart Action
How to get here
After you configure this Action, you can start or stop an NT service when another device or monitor experiences a state change. In order for the Service Restart Action to work:
- Both the WhatsUp Gold computer and the target device (where NT service is to restart) must have identical user accounts.
- The Ipswitch WhatsUp Engine service needs to log on as a user account that belongs to the administrators group and that exists on the target machine.
To set up the Service Restart Action:
- Click . Right click , then select .
- Click the tab, select , then enter the user name and password.
: Windows XP users, if the service that is to be stopped or started by the action is running on a Windows XP machine, then the machine requires the following settings.
- Set Local Security settings. Click
- In the Action Library, in the Service Restart action properties, enter the appropriate information:
- . Enter the name of the action as you would like it to appear in the Action Library.
- Enter a short description of the action. This is displayed in the Action Library along with the entry in the Name box
- . Click the browse button to select the desired host from your Network Neighborhood.
- . Enter a user login to use with this monitor. In order to monitor the service on another machine, the WinEvent monitor has to be configured with the correct user name and password and a user account that belongs to the administrators group on the remote machine. If a domain account is used, then the expected user name is domain\user. If the device is on a workgroup, there are two possible user names: workgroup name\user or machine name\user. No user name and password is needed for local services (services on the machine where WhatsUp Gold v11 is running).
- . Enter the password for the login used above. To monitor NT services on a XP machine with an account that has empty password, the XP's Local Security Settings might have to be modified. From , click on . Then right click on the setting: and click , and select .
- . Click the browse button to select the desired service associated with your host.
- . Use the list box to select either Start or Stop, depending on whether you want the associated alert to Start or Stop the service you have selected.