New Syslog Action
How to get here
When a device does not respond to polling, you can send a Syslog message to a host that is running a Syslog server.
- . Enter a name for the action. This will appear in the Action Library.
- . Enter a short description of the action. This is displayed in the Action Library along with the entry in with the Name box.
- . Enter the IP address of the machine that is running the Syslog server.
- . Enter the UDP port that the Syslog listener is listening on. The default port is 514.
- . Enter a text message to be sent to the Syslog server. This message may include notification variables. The Syslog message box limits input to 511 characters. If notification variables are used, then the message that actually gets sent will be limited to 1023 bytes, in order to comply with the Syslog protocol. Non-visible ASCII characters such as tabs and linefeeds will be replaced by space characters.
What happens to the Syslog when both WhatsUp Gold and IMail are installed on the same box and both are running their Syslog listeners? Syslog will prompt you with an error stating Unable To Open Socket.
WhatsUp Gold's Syslog listener runs on Port 514 by default. This port can be configured in the console at .