Troubleshooting your network
WhatsUp Gold is a tool used to monitor your network. It is up to you to fix the items that WhatsUp Gold brings to light.
The following are questions you should think about while troubleshooting problems detected through WhatsUp Gold.
- Is the entire subnet affected, or a single device?
- Is the entire device affected, or a service monitor on the device?
- What type of device is down?
Actions to take
After you have determined the scope of the network problems, one of the following may help you fix the problem.
- If it is the entire subnet that appears to be down, you should check your hub, router, or switch.
- Begin with checking the physical connections of the device to the network and to the power supply. Check the network cables and power cables.
- Check wireless network cards and signal strength.
- Check the Health Detail Report to see whether a single monitor or the entire device is down. If the device is down, all of the monitors will appear to be down.
- Using the Ping monitor, verify that the connection between the device and the network is up.
- If a monitor appears to be down, try restarting the service that the monitor is watching. To restart a service, you must access the device directly; this cannot be done through WhatsUp Gold.