Assigning Active Monitors
There are two steps in assigning an Active Monitor to a device. The first is to configure the Active Monitor in the Active Monitor Library, and the second is to add that Monitor to a device. For most users, the default configuration is sufficient and there is no need to make any changes to the Active Monitors in the library.
To configure an Active Monitor:
- From the web interface main menu, click to view the Active Monitor Library.
- Click to configure a new Active Monitor,
- or -
Select a monitor from the list and click to make changes to an existing configuration.
The configuration dialog for the selected monitor type opens.
- After you make the necessary changes, click to add the monitor to the list, or to save the changes you made to one already on the list.
To add an Active Monitor to a device:
There are a number of ways to assign Active Monitors to devices:
- Select the Active Monitors you want to scan for during Device Discovery. When you select the discovered devices and add them to your database, WhatsUp Gold creates a monitor for each network service found.
- In the Device Properties Active Monitor dialog, click . WhatsUp Gold scans the device and creates a monitor for each network service found.
- Manually assign an Active Monitor to the device:
- In the Device Properties Active Monitor dialog, click . The Active Monitor Properties dialog opens.
- Select the Active Monitor type you want to assignto the device, then click .
- Set the polling properties for the monitor, then click .
- Setup actions for the monitor state changes.
- Click to add the monitor to the device.
- Add when you create a new device:
- In the console click . The Add New Device dialog opens.
- or -
In the web interface click . The Add New Device dialog opens.
- Click . The Device Discovery Properties dialog opens.
- In the section, select the Active Monitors type you want to assign to the device.
- Click .
- Use to add an active monitor to multiple devices:
- Select the devices in the device list, then right-click on one of the selected items.
- From the right-mouse menu, select .
- Select the active monitor type you want to add.
- Click .