How to get started using SQL Server Monitor
- Determine which SQL parameters to monitor.
:To use some parameters, configure your System Data Source (ODBC) name for the SQL Server. This is done in the Windows Data Sources (ODBC) administrator.
- Determine which SQL services to monitor.
- Decide whether to create a single monitor with multiple parameters and services, several monitors with one parameter or service, or some combination. Whether you set up one monitor or many has a bearing on how the information is reported in WhatsUp Gold logs and by actions. For example, if you create a single monitor to check disk usage, you can name it
SQLDisk and it will be reported in logs with this name.
- Configure an SQL Server Monitor with your selected parameters and/or services.
- Add the SQL Monitor to the device that represents your SQL server.
- Set up an action to tell you when the monitor goes down or comes back up.
:The monitor will be reported down if any of the parameters or services in that monitor are down.