Supported Active Monitors
The following is a list of all of the Active Monitor types that are supported by WhatsUp Gold.
. The Active Script Monitors let you write either VBScript or JScript code to perform a check on a device. If the script returns an error code, the monitor is considered down.
: Please be aware that Ipswitch does not support the scripts that you create, only the ability to use them in the Active Script Monitor.
- . The DNS monitor is a simple service Monitor that checks for the DNS (Domain Name Server) on port 53. If no DNS service responds on this port, then the service is considered down.
- . The Simple Network Management Protocol is the protocol governing network management and monitoring of network devices and their functions. This monitor queries the SNMP device and tries to match the expected returned value.
- . Telnet is a simple service monitor that checks for a Telnet server on port 23. If no telnet service responds on this port, then the service is considered down.
- . The Ping monitor sends an ICMP (ping) command to the device. If the device does not respond, the monitor is considered down.
- . The TCP/IP monitor is used to monitor a TCP/IP service that either does not appear in the list of standard services or uses a non-standard port number.
- . The NT Service Monitor lets you check the status of a service on an Windows machine and attempts a restart of the service (if the appropriate Administrator permissions exist).
: A running Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) service on the targeted machine is required for this NT Service Monitor to work properly. Windows 2000 Service Pack 2 or higher, XP, and 2003 are installed with the WMI service. WMI is not installed with WhatsUp, but can be downloaded from Microsoft and installed on Windows NT.
WhatsUp Gold Premium supports additional Active Monitor types:
- lets you manage the availability of key application services, rather than just the network visibility of the host server.
- lets you monitor any performance counter value and trigger an alarm if the value changes, goes out of range, or undergoes an unexpected rate of change.
For more information, see Using Ipswitch WhatsUp Gold v11 Premium Edition.